University of Western Ontario, 11-12 June 2016
Information-Theoretic Interpretations of Quantum Mechanics is a two day workshop taking place June 11-12, 2016 at Western University in London, Ontario, Canada. The workshop is co-sponsored by the Rotman Institute of Philosophy, the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, the Institute for Quantum Computing at University of Waterloo, and Research Western.
The workshop is inspired by Jeffrey Bub’s recently published book Bananaworld: Quantum Mechanics for Primates (Oxford University Press). The workshop will bring together diverse views on issues raised by and related to Professor Bub’s work on developing an information-theoretic interpretation of quantum theory.
The workshop will be preceded by a graduate student conference, the 16th Annual Philosophy of Logic, Math and Physics (LMP) Graduate Student Conference (http://logicmathphysics.ca/).
(a detailed program, including titles and abstracts, will be posted on the workshop’s website soon)
1) Jeffrey Bub, University of Maryland, to be followed by commentaries from:
– Leah Henderson, University of Groningen
– Allen Stairs, University of Maryland
– Christopher Timpson, University of Oxford
2) Armond Duwell, University of Montana
3) Joseph Emerson, University of Waterloo
4) Laura Felline, Roma Tre University
5) Marissa Giustina, University of Vienna
6) Lucien Hardy, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
7) Richard Healey, University of Arizona
8) Sandu Popescu, University of Bristol (to be confirmed)
9) Matthew Pusey, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
10) Rüdiger Schack, University of London
11) Robert Spekkens, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics
DATES AND REGISTRATION:
Conference Date: June 11-12, 2016
Everyone is welcome to attend, and attendance is free. However so that we may make suitable arrangements we ask that you please register your attendance via the workshop’s website: http://philphysics.uwo.ca/
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca)
Rotman Institute of Philosophy (http://www.rotman.uwo.ca/)
Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics (https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca)
Institute for Quantum Computing at the University of Waterloo (https://uwaterloo.ca/institute-for-quantum-computing)
Western Research (https://www.uwo.ca/research)
ADDITION 25 April 2016:
The organisers of the Information-Theoretic Interpretations of Quantum Mechanics Workshop (June 11-12: http://philphysics.uwo.ca/) are pleased to announce that we will make available three bursaries of $300 (CAD) each for graduate students who would like to attend the workshop and the preceding Philosophy of Logic, Math, and Physics graduate student conference (June 9-10: http://logicmathphysics.ca/).
Priority will be given to those with a demonstrated need, and also to those from under-represented groups. If you are a graduate student planning to attend these events and would like to be considered for one of these bursaries, please send an email to: Carol Suter , indicating how you fall under one of the just mentioned criteria.