The British Society for the Philosophy of Science announces that it will be offering a scholarship for doctoral work in philosophy of science in a UK university (subject to a suitable candidate coming forward).
The level of the award will be the same as that of AHRC funding and will cover fees and maintenance. The scholarship shall be awarded for a period equal to the institutional norm for PhD study at the student’s institution minus any time already spent on the PhD (i.e., up to 3 yrs at most UK institutions, 2yrs at Oxford and other institutions with a 2+2 model for postgraduate courses). The BSPS award will not be awarded to anyone with another source of funding. Applicants must have applied for other sources of funding for which they are eligible. The closing date for applications is 1st August 2010. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that complete applications, including references, arrive by the deadline. Applicants are therefore advised to give their referees and proposed supervisor adequate notice of the deadline by which materials are required.
Applicants should send:
1. a curriculum vitae (no more than 2 sides of A4);
2. an outline of the proposed research (no more than 500 words);
3. a statement setting out the other sources of funding for which they have applied and the dates at which they will hear whether these applications have been successful;
4. a statement testifying that they currently have no other source of funding;
5. evidence that they have been accepted onto an appropriate Ph.D. programme, and a statement stating the institutional norm for PhD completion at their institution (i.e. whether their institution follows a 1+3 model or a 2+2 model for MA and PhD study).
Their proposed supervisor should send:
1. A brief statement (no more than 500 words) explaining how the proposed supervisor and institution will provide the support necessary for successful completion of the proposed PhD.
And two academic referees should send directly:
All documents should be sent to the following address:
BSPS Doctoral Scholarship
Dr Rachel Cooper
1. Where an applicant is already part way through their PhD the BSPS grant will be correspondingly reduced.
2. In cases where applicants have minimal funding from other sources this will be made up to AHRC levels by the BSPS grant. (For example, an applicant who has a fees-only award from elsewhere would be eligible to apply for a maintenance grant from the BSPS.)
3. Incomplete applications, including those with missing references or missing supervisors’ statements, will not be considered.